SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the block tree with the tree
On 11/01/2013 03:53 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 11/01/2013 02:41 PM, Dave Kleikamp wrote:

>>> Dave, input requested.
>>>
>>> In any case, I would suggest dropping the aio-direct tree instead of the
>>> entire block tree for coverage purposes, if merge or build failures
>>> happen because of it.
>>
>> I've had these patches in linux-next since August, and I'd really like
>> to push them in the 3.13 merge window.
>>
>> Are there other problems besides this merge issue? I'll take a closer
>> look at Stephen's merge patch and see if I find any other issues, but I
>> really don't want to pull these patches out of linux-next now.
>
> I'm not saying that the patches should be dropped or not go into 3.13.
> What I'm saying is that if the choice is between having the bio and
> blk-mq stuff in linux-next or an addon to the loop driver, the decision
> should be quite clear.
>
> So we've three immediate options:
>
> 1) You base it on top of the block tree

I could do that.

> 2) I carry the loop updates

The patch is the 17th of the patch set and will break things without
most if not all of the preceding patches which hit a lot of fs code.

> 3) You hand Stephen a merge patch for the resulting merge of the two

I can do that too.

> It's one of the problems with too-many-tree, imho. You end up with
> dependencies that could have been solved if the work had been applied in
> the right upstream tree. Sometimes that's not even enough though, if you
> end up crossing boundaries.

This patch set does cross boundaries.

Dave

  Last update: 2013-11-01 22:21    [W:0.100 / U:0.092 seconds]