SubjectRe: [RFC] Rollback FS

On Oct 20, 2013, at 11:06 AM, jiaweiwei wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently, I just do some stupid stuffs as follows.
>
> # mv /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 /tmp
>
> After move "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6" away, you could not run lots
> of commands, which show you some errors like this.
>
> # ls
> ls: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
> # mv
> mv: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open
>
> Because they all depend on libc.so.
>
> You could also happen to above boring stuffs when you remove some key
> files in Linux OS. Now, I have a good idea to solve above problems.
>
> We could implement a File System to record all the operations which
> send to VFS. Then when you think you have done a mistake command, you
> could rollback from this File System.
>
> This is just a RFC, I would give detail implementations. Would anyone
> please give me some suggestions? Thanks very much.

Anyway, you need to use Copy-On-Write (COW) approach for such file system.
But there are file systems that implements snapshot approach yet: NILFS2, ext3cow,
Next3, and so on.

Do you really want to implement something likewise snapshot feature in a file system
from the scratch?

With the best regards,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.