SubjectRe: aim7 performance regression by commit 5a50508 report from LKP
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:12:45AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Yuanhan Liu <yuanhan.liu@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> > > Very nice measurements and analysis, thanks!

> > > I think we should allow lock-steal between rwsem writers - that
> > > will not hurt fairness as most rwsem fairness concerns relate to
> > > reader vs. writer fairness.
> >
> > Agreed, and I'm sure this will improve performance and may
> > make this performance regression go away.
> >
> > David, is that Ok to you? If so, I may have a try.
>
> I'm not David but please try it :-)
>
> Making rwsem behavior and scalability similar to mutexes would
> have numerous advantages.
>
> > > Am I correct to assume that all relevant users in this
> > > workload are down_write() users?
> >
> > Yes, as commit 5a50508 just convert all mutex to down_write.
>
> A second track of inquiry would be to see whether any of the key
> usage sites could be converted to down_read()

I tried before, and seems I didn't find one.

Well, I did find an irrelevant one: vma_lock_anon_vma at validate_mm()
in mm/mmap.c. That function is _real_ only if CONFIG_DEBUG_VM_RB is
set, and there is no vma_lock_anon_vma_read() or something similar,
thus I guess it's may not worthy to turn it.

> or whether the
> lock hold times could be reduced drastically

I also found one, but it doesn't sound like the one will reduce lock
hole times drastically:
vma_lock_anon_vma() seems covered too much code at
expand_up/downwards.

Well, again, it's quite a tiny optimization for reducing the coverage.

Thanks.

--yliu

> - but I doubt
> that's really possible on such heavily forking workloads.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ingo

  Last update: 2013-01-30 11:21    [W:0.099 / U:0.112 seconds]