SubjectRe: perf 3.8-rc build failure: undefined reference to `strlcpy'
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:15:55AM +0900, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> Please see my reply on another post from Thomas:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/1/29/32
>
> It's not like a build failure of perf tools, it's just a result of
> feature test so should not affect the build of perf itself, right?

Doh, I see it. It is the -DHAVE_STRLCPY test, of course. And it happens
only with a V=1 build, so actually there's not a build problem.

> Why it confuses us is that we don't show any compile message if -s
> option is given to make, so I posted a patch to hide CHK and above
> failure message when -s option is specified.

Hm, trying your patch ontop of acme's perf/core still shows CHK stuff

$ make -s tools/perf
DESCEND perf
CHK -fstack-protector-all
CHK -Wstack-protector
CHK -Wvolatile-register-var
CHK bionic
CHK libelf
CHK libdw

and that's because I'm doing the build from the toplevel repo and not in
perf/. If I switch to perf first, it is silent:

$ make -s
Makefile:809: No bfd.h/libbfd found, install binutils-dev[el]/zlib-static to gain symbol demangling
Makefile:846: No numa.h found, disables 'perf bench numa mem' benchmark, please install numa-libs-devel or libnuma-dev
$

Oh, and one more thing, there's tools/scripts/Makefile.include which
looks at -s already and perf/Makefile includes it so you probably want
to put your change there so that all tools use it.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.

  Last update: 2013-01-30 04:41    [W:2.307 / U:0.156 seconds]