SubjectRe: One of these things (CONFIG_HZ) is not like the others..
Jon,

On Tuesday 29 January 2013 05:31 AM, John Stultz wrote:
> On 01/27/2013 10:08 PM, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:

[..]

>>> Thanks for expanding it. It is really helpful.

>>> Fully agree about experimentation to re-asses the drift.
>>> From what I recollect from past, few OMAP customers did
>>> report the time drift issue and that is how the switch
>>> from 100 --> 128 happened.
>>>
>>> Anyway I have added the suggested task to my long todo list.
>>>
>> So I tried to see if any time drift with HZ = 100 on OMAP. I ran the
>> setup for 62 hours and 27 mins with time synced up once with NTP server.
>> I measure about ~174 millisecond drift which is almost noise considering
>> the observed duration was ~224820000 milliseconds.
>
> So 174ms drift doesn't sound great, as < 2ms (often much less - though
> that depends on how close the server is) can be expected with NTP.
> Although its not clear how you were measuring: Did you see a max 174ms
> offset while trying to sync with NTP? Was that offset shortly after
> starting NTP or after NTP converged down?

To avoid the server latency, we didn't do continuous sync. The time was
synced in the beginning and after 62.5 hours (#ntpd -qg) and the drift
of about 174 ms was observed. As you said this could be because of
server sync time along with probably some addition from system calls
from #ntpd. As mentioned, the other run with HZ = 128 which started
15 hours 20 mins is already showing about 24 mS drift now. I will
let it run for couple of more days just to have similar duration run.

Regards,
santosh

  Last update: 2013-01-29 08:21    [W:0.622 / U:0.816 seconds]