SubjectRe: 3.8.0-rc4+ - Oops on removing WinTV-HVR-1400 expresscard TV Tuner
Hi Martin,

On 01/26/13 21:14, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Clayton wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> On 01/24/13 19:21, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
>>> Hi Chris,
>>> try to include in kernel only acpiphp and omit pciehp. Don't use modules but include
>>> them statically. And try, in addition, check whether "pcie_aspm=off" in grub.conf helped.
>>>

>> Thanks for the tip. I had the pciehp driver installed, but it was a module and not loaded. I didn't have acpiphp enabled at all. Building them both in statically, appears to have papered over the cracks of the oops :-)
>>
>>> The best would if you subscribe to linux-pci, and read my recent threads
>>> about similar issues I had with express cards with Dell Vostro 3550. Further, there is
>>> a lot of changes to PCI hotplug done by Yingahi Liu and Rafael Wysockij, just browse the
>>> archives of linux-pci and see the pacthes and the discussion.
>>
>> Those discussions are way above my level of knowledge. I guess all this work will be merged into mainline in due course, so I'll watch for them in 3.9 or later. Unless, of course, there is a tree I could clone and help test the changes with my laptop and expresscard.
>>
>> Hotplug isn't working at all on my Fujitsu laptop, so I can only get the card recognised by rebooting with the card inserted (or by writing 1 to/sys/bus/pci/rescan). There seem to be a few reports on this in the kernel bugzilla, so I'll look through them and see what's being done.
>
> That's what I suspected. Compile in statically acpiphp, no pciehp at all (not even as a module).
> Then it might work for you -- at least it does for me, provided I use "pcie_aspm=off".

Thanks again for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the
problem on my laptop.

You may have seen the suggestion I've had from Yijing. I'm just building
the kernel to test that out.

Chris
> Martin
>

>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>>> Martin

  Last update: 2013-01-27 11:21    [W:0.082 / U:0.764 seconds]