SubjectRe: 3.8.0-rc4+ - Oops on removing WinTV-HVR-1400 expresscard TV Tuner

On 01/27/13 14:26, Martin Mokrejs wrote:
> Chris Clayton wrote:
>>

>> On 01/27/13 12:18, Yijing Wang wrote:
>>> 于 2013-01-27 19:19, Chris Clayton 写道:

>>> Hmm, that's unsafe and dangerous, because device now may be running.
>>> There are two ways to trigger pci hot-add or hot-remove in linux, after loaded pciehp or acpiphp module
>>> (the two modules only one can loaded into system at the same time). You can trigger hot-add/hot-remove by
>>> sysfs interface under /sys/bus/pci/slots/[slot-name]/power or attention button on hardware (if your laptop supports that).
>>>

>> OK, thanks for the advice.

> Are you sure you had pciehp already loaded?

Yes, I'm sure it was.

>>> Currently, If your hardware support pciehp native hotplug, acpiphp driver will be rejected when loading it in system
>>> (you can force loading it by add boot parameter pcie_aspm=off as Martin said).
>>>

>> OK, thanks again for the advice. I've disabled the acpiphp driver.
>
> Pitty. For me only with acpiphp works detection of express card in the slot. With pciehp
> the PresDet is not updated properly upon removal/insertion and sometimes, probably as a result
> of the previous, PresDet on the SltSta: line of lspci is not correct. So I moved away from pciehp.
> I have a SandyBridge based laptop so I was hoping with your i5-based laptop you have also great
> chance to get rid of pciehp issues.

I've just (very carefully) set this up again (i.e. no pciehp driver
(module or builtin), acpiphp driver built in and pcie_aspm=off on the
kernel command line (via grub). My card is not detected on insertion. :-(

Thanks for your suggestions, Martin. I am grateful.

Chris