SubjectRe: [RFC] ACPI scan handlers
Date
On Saturday, January 26, 2013 02:49:30 AM Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, January 25, 2013 04:07:38 PM Toshi Kani wrote:
> > :

> > > First of all, thanks for the response. :-)

> > > I'm not sure what you're talking about, though.
> > >
> > > You seem to be confusing ACPI device nodes (i.e. things represented by struct
> > > acpi_device objects) with devices, but they are different things. They are
> > > just used to store static information extracted from device objects in the
> > > ACPI namespace and to expose those objects (and possibly some of their
> > > properties) via sysfs. Device objects in the ACPI namespace are not devices,
> > > however, and they don't even need to represent devices (for example, the
> > > _SB thing, which is represented by struct acpi_device, is hardly a device).
> > >
> > > So the role of struct acpi_device things is analogous to the role of
> > > struct device_node things in the Device Trees world. In fact, no drivers
> > > should ever bind to them and in my opinion it was a grievous mistake to
> > > let them do that. But I'm digressing.
> > >
> > > So, when you're saying "acpi dev", I'm not sure if you think about a device node
> > > or a device (possibly) represented by that node. If you mean device node, then
> > > I'm not sure what "acpi dev init" means, because device nodes by definition
> > > don't require any initialization beyond what acpi_add_single_object() does
> > > (and they don't require any off-lining beyod what acpi_device_unregister()
> > > does, for that matter). In turn, if you mean "device represented by the given
> > > device node", then you can't even say "ACPI device" about it, because it very
> > > well may be a PCI device, or a USB device, or a SATA device etc.
> >
> > Let me clarify my point with the ACPI memory driver as an example since
> > it is the one that has caused a problem in .remove().
> >
> > acpi_memory_device_add() implements .add() and does two things below.
> >
> > 1. Call _CRS and initialize a list of struct acpi_memory_info that is
> > attached to acpi_device->driver_data. This step is what I described as
> > "acpi dev init". ACPI drivers perform driver-specific initialization to
> > ACPI device objects.
> >
> > 2. Call add_memory() to add a target memory range to the mm module.
> > This step is what I described as "on-lining". This step is not
> > necessary at boot-time since the mm module has already on-lined the
> > memory ranges at early boot-time. At hot-add, however, it needs to call
> > add_memory() with the current framework.
>
> I see.
>
> OK, so that does handle the "struct acpi_device has been registered" event,
> both on boot and hot-add. The interactions with mm are tricky, I agree, but
> that's not what I want to address at this point.
>
> > Similarly, acpi_memory_device_remove() implements .remove() and does two
> > things below.
> >
> > 1. Call remove_memory() to offline a target memory range. This step,
> > "off-lining", can fail since the mm module may or may not be able to
> > delete non-movable ranges. This failure cannot be handled properly and
> [...]

That made me think about the eject problem in general (that is, how to get
information on whether or not the removal of a given set of devices is going to
be safe) which lead to the realization that it really is not limited to memory
and that the .eject_requested()/.eject_canceled() mechanism above may not be
sufficient in general. I'll describe that in a separate message, though.

As far as the scan handlers are concerned, it looks like I wanted to do too
much at a time, because what I need for now is only things that will do
.attach()/.detach() without involving the driver core.

Thanks,
Rafael

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.

  Last update: 2013-01-26 15:21    [W:0.080 / U:0.712 seconds]