SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] uprobes: pre-filtering
On 01/25, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Srikar Dronamraju <srikar@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > The other alternative is to extend the current abi and pass
> > the prefilter option. Should we extend the abi for userspace
> > tracing is obviously debatable.
>
> That's the obvious path to go - why add something to the kernel
> if user-space cannot make use of it?

This is what I am going to (try to) do, but I am not sure if this makes
sense...

For the start, can't we teach 'uprobe_events' file to accept, say,

'p file:0x1234 pid=1 other-opts'

for the start? This looks simple enough, and I after looked into tools/perf
it seems that perf can be changed too.

What do you think?

Then we can extend 'pid=' option to accept the list of pids, perhaps.

In the long term we probably need uprobes/pid_filter or something like this,
it should allow to add/del pid dynamically. I really do not know.

Oleg.

  Last update: 2013-01-25 18:01    [W:0.179 / U:0.140 seconds]