SubjectRe: LKML and other vger MLs - which provider...
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:32:39PM +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Hi David
>
> In short: I'm looking for a (free) email provider to use for my
> vger.kernel.org subscriptions. Read a thread on google+ with your
> participation and was wondering whether you could recommend one or knew of
> a way to get an @infradead.org address, although that doesn't seem to be
> safe enough either any more...
>
> The long story: gmx.de, that I'm using as my "identity" address, got me
> unsubscribed multiple times from vger MLs. Even though not wanting to give
> the big G even more power, gmail has worked pretty stably, without
> dropping me out. However, recently I've detected a flaw with them (known
> to some too, I'm sure): they only deliver one copy of each mail. So, if a
> patch series is sent to more than one vger ML, I end up with some mails
> from it in my, say, mmc folder and with other in the linux-sh folder.
I suggest to use Gmail filter rather than mutt filter. The difference is that
Gmail filter can mark one email with multiple labels, which means you can see
the same email in two or more folders (called labels in Gmail) even there is
only one copy stored in Gmail. btw, the unread sign of one email in different
labels is shared. I think this feature is quite good, though I hate Gmail web
version doesn't follow the RFC about thread.

- cong