SubjectRe: Compilation problem with drivers/staging/zsmalloc when !SMP on ARM
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 03:24:40PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:37:25PM -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> > I thought the code had per_cpu for it - so that you wouldn't do that unless
> > you really went out the way to do it.
>
> Actually, yes, you're right - that negates point (4) and possibly (2),
> but (3) is still a concern. (3) shouldn't be that much of an issue
> _provided_ that the virtual addresses aren't explicitly made use of by
> other CPUs. Is that guaranteed by the zsmalloc code? (IOW, does it
> own the virtual region it places these mappings in?)

It does own them but it does also hand them off. So the users of it
might be put on a different CPU. I think, I need to trace the call-chain.

> What is the performance difference between having and not having this
> optimization? Can you provide some measurements please?

Oh boy, there were somewhere.

> Lastly, as you hold per_cpu stuff across this, that means preemption
> is disabled - and any kind of scheduling is also a bug. Is there
> any reason the kmap stuff can't be used? Has this been tried? How
> does it compare numerically with the existing solutions?

It was really dependent on the architecture. On x86 the copying
was superior, but on ARM it was sllow.

  Last update: 2013-01-22 22:24    [W:0.052 / U:0.104 seconds]