SubjectRe: jbd2: don't wake kjournald unnecessarily
From
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:04:32AM +0100, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>>
>> Beyond the FUSE/LOOP fun, will you apply this patch to your linux-next GIT tree?
>>
>> Feel free to add...
>>
>> Tested-by: Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com>
>>
>> A similiar patch for JBD went through your tree into mainline (see [1] and [2]).
>
> I'm not at all convinced that this patch has anything to do with your
> problem. I don't see how it could affect things, and I believe you
> mentioned that you saw the problem even with this patch applied? (I'm
> not sure; some of your messages which you sent were hard to
> understand, and you mentioned something about trying to send messages
> when low on sleep :-).

Even with little sleep I know what I have written.
YES, it didn't fix my problem but it also did not hurt my system.
I just run Linux Test Project w/o errors which also means nothing.
( Hmmm, I checked-out xfstests... did I compile it :-)? )

> In any case, the reason why I haven't pulled this patch into the ext4
> tree is because I was waiting for Eric and some of the performance
> team folks at Red Hat to supply some additional information about why
> this commit was making a difference in performance for a particular
> proprietary, closed source benchmark.

I am not following the linux-ext4/linux-fsdevel MLs so much, but IIRC
this patch is from December 2012.
An identical patch for JBD (approx. from same date) went upstream,
that's why I asked.
But now I know you care of JBD2 stuff :-).
Of course, I leave it to the experts to decide.
Come on Eric, open the pandora box and bomb Ted with logs and traces :-).

> I'm very suspicious about applying patches under the "cargo cult"
> school of programming. ("We don't understand why it makes a
> difference, but it seems to be good, so bombs away!" :-)

A good attitude - a man we can trust!

I would liked to see a more positive development on my issue.
But I still see no real reason to throw this WUBI installation away
hitting a "corner" case.
It was done as a temporary installation and made me happy in my daily
working life.
If I will get unhappy I boot into Win7, oops.

- Sedat -

> Regards,
>
> - Ted

  Last update: 2013-01-22 01:21    [W:0.085 / U:0.072 seconds]