SubjectRe: [RFC Patch v1 00/31] Synopsys ARC Linux kernel Port
Hi!

> > Yeah, and it is best use of reviewers time to confuse them with
> > one-letter difference to very popular architecture... and use three
> > letter acronym that was already taken.
> >
> > In this state, I hope your port never gets merged. Yes, I got used to
> > do cd a<tab>/ar<tab>.
>
> You already lost that capability with the addition of arm64. As you
> may remember, that one was proposed to be called arch/aarch64 at first,
> which wasn't very popular ;-)

Actually, with arm26, which is older IIRC. But tab still works there,
just will not fill the last /, and you can't mistake arm64 with arm in
filenames etc -- different length.

> A lot of people are familiar with the ARC name, it's been around
> for decades and has sold billions of CPUs under that name, likely
> more than x86 or mips (still dwarfed by ARM of course). They've just

Well, it seems that mips people were aware of the ARC name, it just
meant something different:

https://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/ARC

Pavel

  Last update: 2013-01-19 11:41    [W:0.153 / U:0.752 seconds]