SubjectRE: [dm-devel] Announcement: STEC EnhanceIO SSD caching software for Linux kernel
Hi Joe, Kent,

[Adding Kent as well since bcache is mentioned below as one of the contenders for being integrated into mainline kernel.]

My understanding is that these three caching solutions all have three principle blocks.
1. A cache block lookup - This refers to finding out whether a block was cached or not and the location on SSD, if it was.
2. Block replacement policy - This refers to the algorithm for replacing a block when a new free block can't be found.
3. IO handling - This is about issuing IO requests to SSD and HDD.
4. Dirty data clean-up algorithm (for write-back only) - The dirty data clean-up algorithm decides when to write a dirty block in an SSD to its original location on HDD and executes the copy.

When comparing the three solutions we need to consider these aspects.
1. User interface - This consists of commands used by users for creating, deleting, editing properties and recovering from error conditions.
2. Software interface - Where it interfaces to Linux kernel and applications.
3. Availability - What's the downtime when adding, deleting caches, making changes to cache configuration, conversion between cache modes, recovering after a crash, recovering from an error condition.
4. Security - Security holes, if any.
5. Portability - Which HDDs, SSDs, partitions, other block devices it works with.
6. Persistence of cache configuration - Once created does the cache configuration stay persistent across reboots. How are changes in device sequence or numbering handled.
7. Persistence of cached data - Does cached data remain across reboots/crashes/intermittent failures. Is the "sticky"ness of data configurable.
8. SSD life - Projected SSD life. Does the caching solution cause too much of write amplification leading to an early SSD failure.
9. Performance - Throughput is generally most important. Latency is also one more performance comparison point. Performance under different load classes can be measured.
10. ACID properties - Atomicity, Concurrency, Idempotent, Durability. Does the caching solution have these typical transactional database or filesystem properties. This includes avoiding torn-page problem amongst crash and failure scenarios.
11. Error conditions - Handling power failures, intermittent and permanent device failures.
12. Configuration parameters for tuning according to applications.

We'll soon document EnhanceIO behavior in context of these aspects. We'll appreciate if dm-cache and bcache is also documented.

When comparing performance there are three levels at which it can be measured
1. Architectural elements
1.1. Throughput for 100% cache hit case (in absence of dirty data clean-up)
1.2. Throughput for 0% cache hit case (in absence of dirty data clean-up)
1.3. Dirty data clean-up rate (in absence of IO)
2. Performance of architectural elements combined
2.1. Varying mix of read/write, sustained performance.
3. Application level testing - The more real-life like benchmark we work with, the better it is.

Thanks.
-Amit