SubjectRe: Linux 3.8-rc1 - another regression on USB :-(
Date
On Tuesday 15 January 2013 23:26:20 Woody Suwalski wrote:

> The modules are insmoded in a fixed order:
> usb-common, usbcore, xhci-hcd, ehci-hcd, uhci-hcd, ohci-hcd, usbhid,
> usb_storage,...
>
> If all USB is built as modules - I get read errors from USB drives when
> accessing squash image, boot fails.
> If usb-common and usbcore are built in, system seems to crawl with a
> very slow USB, but boots. That could be caused by timing between hcd
> modules.

Have you checked which bus the storage device is on?
If it is attached to a companion controller that would explain the speed
issue.

> If usb-common, usbcore and ehci-hcd are built-in, all works OK like
> "before 3.8".
> I was testing on machines without xhci or ohci hardware, so these
> drivers probably are not playing any role.
> I have retried initramfs with a 1s sleep between insmods to verify if it
> is timing - still the same read errors - so the main issue is _not_ timing.
> The read errors problem is 100% reproducible for me, the blocks where
> read fails are not fixed - every (failed) boot errors start appearing in
> a bit different location.

Do you get read errors on the SCSI level only or also errors on the USB level?

Regards
Oliver

  Last update: 2013-01-16 10:01    [W:0.187 / U:1.180 seconds]