SubjectRe: 3.8-rc2 lockdep complains about console_lock vs. fb_notifier_list.rwsem
From
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> At Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:21:46 +0100,
> Sedat Dilek wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:

>> > I've hit this bug and tried the patch [2] ([3] and [4] are gone).
>> > Unfortunately the deadlock is still reported, as seen below.
>> >
>> > A similar fix for fbcon_unbind(), splitting an unlocked version of
>> > unbind_con_driver() and call it?
>> >
>> > (BTW, the patch [2] contains strange characters in the comments, and
>> > has a few coding issues easily detected by checkpatch.pl.)
>> >

>> [ CCing Rafael as he asked in another thread if I had sent a patch ]
>>
>> I noticed also some these "strange" chars in the patch from Andrew and
>> a patch of mine was sent as
>> "fb-Rework-locking-to-fix-lock-ordering-on-takeover-fix-comments.patch"
>> to the lists.
>>
>> It is strange to me that Andrew or other maintainers himself did not
>> check with "checkpatch.pl".
>> This should be a common testcase!
>> Hey, noone is perfect :-).
>> ( /me has also not checked with that script - I just saw it. )
>>
>> Just as a note to the issue in general:
>> Andrew took over the patch from Alan which is very honest - he is not
>> the active TTY maintainer!
>> Didn't Greg takeover maintenance from Alan (after a dispute and blaming Alan)?
>> If this is true, why the hell is Greg not CCed?
>
> Let's do it :)
>
> Greg, Jiri, this bug hits already quite a few people.
>
> I can reproduce the bug easily on a machine with a radeon graphics.
> It appears always at boot when lockdep is enabled.
>

>> Thanks for the real patch in the followup of this thread!
>> Who will take care of it :-)?
>
> Either tty maintainer, or fb maintainer, or Andrew?
>
> FWIW, Andrew took my patch in mm:
> http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/fb-rework-locking-to-fix-lock-ordering-on-takeover.patch
> http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/fb-yet-another-band-aid-for-fixing-lockdep-mess.patch

[ CCing linux-next ML ]

Thanks for all your efforts to get this fb-issue nailed down for mainline!

Just as a note being a Linux-Next customer:

"fb-yet-another-band-aid-for-fixing-lockdep-mess.patch" did not hit
next-20130116!
Thanks for the link!

Normally Andrew sents out a mmotm release marking patches from his
tree destinated for Linux-Next with a "*".

To quote from the latest mmotm release-notes:

"This mmotm tree contains the following patches against 3.8-rc3:
(patches marked "*" will be included in linux-next)"

But anyway this stuff is Linux-3.8 material as well.

- Sedat -

> thanks,
>
> Takashi

  Last update: 2013-01-16 11:21    [W:0.081 / U:0.800 seconds]