SubjectRe: mmots: memory-hotplug: implement register_page_bootmem_info_section of sparse-vmemmap fix
On Fri 11-01-13 20:38:33, Tang Chen wrote:
> On 01/11/2013 08:12 PM, Michal Hocko wrote:

> >>Hi Michal,
> >>
> >>Do you mean remove register_page_bootmem_memmap() from other
> >>architectures ?
> >
> >No I meant the patch to be dropped until it gets implementation for
> >other architectures or the users of the function would be explicit about
> >archs which are supported. What happens if the implementation is empty
> >will the generic code work properly? From my very limitted understanding
> >of the code it won't.
>
> Hi Michal,
>
> Hum, I see. Thank you for your remind. :)
> register_page_bootmem_info_section() will be different in other
> architectures if register_page_bootmem_memmap() is empty.

Not sure I understand what "different" means here but I suspect it would
be buggy. Is that correct?

> I think we can post a patch to make register_page_bootmem_info_section()
> the same as before, and we just implement the x86 version first. So that
> it will have no harm to other architectures.

I haven't followed the previous versions of the patch - I have noticed
this being broken only because it failed during my automatic build
testing when merging new mmots tree into mm git tree. I have no
objections for further patches of course but this one seems to be buggy
so it should be dropped until a fixed version is available.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2013-01-11 17:01    [W:0.065 / U:3.504 seconds]