SubjectRe: mmots: memory-hotplug: implement register_page_bootmem_info_section of sparse-vmemmap fix
On 01/11/2013 08:12 PM, Michal Hocko wrote:

>>> It is more complicated than I thought. One would tell it's a mess.
>>> The patch bellow fixes the compilation issue but I am not sure we want
>>> to include memory_hotplug.h into arch/x86/mm/init_64.c. Moreover
>>>
>>> +void register_page_bootmem_memmap(unsigned long section_nr,
>>> + struct page *start_page, unsigned long size)
>>> +{
>>> + /* TODO */
>>> +}
>>>
>>> for other archs would suggest that the code is not ready yet. Should
>>> this rather be dropped for now?
>>
>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> Do you mean remove register_page_bootmem_memmap() from other
>> architectures ?
>
> No I meant the patch to be dropped until it gets implementation for
> other architectures or the users of the function would be explicit about
> archs which are supported. What happens if the implementation is empty
> will the generic code work properly? From my very limitted understanding
> of the code it won't.

Hi Michal,

Hum, I see. Thank you for your remind. :)
register_page_bootmem_info_section() will be different in other
architectures if register_page_bootmem_memmap() is empty.

I think we can post a patch to make register_page_bootmem_info_section()
the same as before, and we just implement the x86 version first. So that
it will have no harm to other architectures.

How do you think ?

Thanks. :)

  Last update: 2013-01-11 14:01    [W:0.040 / U:0.320 seconds]