SubjectRevisiting EFI boot stub config file support
Hi all,

In March last year, I submitted a patch to enable the EFI boot stub to
read its config arguments from a file on the ESP, both to help with
booting from livecds and to avoid having to use efibootmgr every time
you change your boottime arguments. I ended up dropping the submission
because I ended up coming to the conclusion that tools like rEFInd and
gummiboot were better suited to the task of boot managing than the
kernel itself.

Since then, however, I've received enough emails asking about the status
of the patch that I think there is room for a simpler entrant into the
field of linux EFI boot management. This could be in-kernel, as per my
original patch, or a very simple out-of-kernel (but maybe distributed
in-tree?) efi image that simply reads linux.conf and boots linux with
those parameters. My personal bias is still toward handling this
functionality outside of the kernel itself, but before I started the
work I thought I'd ask here if anyone thought I should instead bring my
old patch up-to-date.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Shea Levy

P.S. I am subscribed to linux-efi but not lkml, please include me in any
replies to lkml.

  Last update: 2013-01-01 17:21    [W:0.052 / U:0.060 seconds]