SubjectRe: [RFC 0/5] forced comounts for cgroups.
On 09/07/2012 01:11 AM, Paul Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Tejun Heo <tj@kernel.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> cc'ing Dhaval and Frederic. They were interested in the subject
>> before and Dhaval was pretty vocal about cpuacct having a separate
>> hierarchy (or at least granularity).
>
> Really? Time just has _not_ borne out this use-case. I'll let Dhaval
> make a case for this but he should expect violent objection.

I strongly advise against physical violence. In case it is really
necessary, please break his legs only.

>>> Quite, hence my 'proposal' to remove cpuacct.
>>>
>>> There was some whining last time Glauber proposed this, but the one
>>> whining never convinced and has gone away from Linux, so lets just do
>>> this.
>>>
>>> Lets make cpuacct print a deprecated msg to dmesg for a few releases and
>>> make cpu do all this.
>>
>> I like it. Currently cpuacct is the only problematic one in this
>> regard (cpuset to a much lesser extent) and it would be great to make
>> it go away.
>>
>> Dhaval, Frederic, Paul, if you guys object, please voice your
>> opinions.
>>
>>> The co-mounting stuff would have been nice for cpusets as well, knowing
>>> all your tasks are affine to a subset of cpus allows for a few
>>> optimizations (smaller cpumask iterations), but I guess we'll have to do
>>> that dynamically, we'll just have to see how ugly that is.
>>
>> Forced co-mounting sounds rather silly to me. If the two are always
>> gonna be co-mounted, why not just merge them and switch the
>> functionality depending on configuration? I'm fairly sure the code
>> would be simpler that way.
>
> It would be simpler but the problem is we'd break any userspace that
> was just doing mount cpuacct?
>
> Further, even if it were mounting both, userspace code still has to be
> changed to read from "cpu.export" instead of "cpuacct.export".

Only if we remove cpuacct. What we can do, and I thought about doing, is
just merging cpuacct functionality into cpu. Then we move cpuacct to
default no. It will be there for userspace if they absolutely want to
use it.

> I think a sane path on this front is:
>
> Immediately:
> Don't allow cpuacct and cpu to be co-mounted on separate hierarchies
> simultaneously.

that is precisely what my patch does, except it is a bit more generic.

> That is:
> mount none /dev/cgroup/cpuacct -t cgroupfs -o cpuacct : still works
> mount none /dev/cgroup/cpu -t cgroupfs -o cpu : still works
> mount none /dev/cgroup/cpux -t cgroupfs -o cpuacct,cpu : still works
>
> But the combination:
> mount none /dev/cgroup/cpu -t cgroupfs -o cpu : still works
> mount none /dev/cgroup/cpuacct -t cgroupfs -o cpu : EINVAL [or vice versa].
>
> Also:
> WARN_ON when mounting cpuacct without cpu, strongly explaining that
> ANY such configuration is deprecated.
>
> Glauber's patchset goes most of the way towards enabling this.

yes.

> In a release or two:
> Make the restriction strict; don't allow individual mounting of
> cpuacct, force it to be mounted ONLY with cpu.
>
> Glauber's patchset gives us this.
>
> Finally:
> Mirror the interfaces to cpu, print nasty syslog messages about ANY
> mounts of cpuacct
> Follow that up by eventually removing cpuacct completely

Why don't start with mirroring? It gives more time for people to start
switching to it.

  Last update: 2012-09-07 01:21    [W:0.112 / U:0.252 seconds]