SubjectRe: IRQ remapping problem on Macbook Air 5,1
Hi Seth,

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 02:48:37PM -0500, Seth Forshee wrote:
> This machine has a bug in its ACPI tables that's causing it to fail to
> boot unless intremap=off is passed to the kernel. The MADT defines a
> single IOAPIC with id 2, but the remapping unit defined in DMAR matches
> id 0. Thus interrupt remapping fails, and the kernel panics with the
> message "timer doesn't work through Interrupt-remapped IO-APIC." If I
> force the use of the non-matching ir hardware for the IOAPIC everything
> seems to works fine. dmesg for the working boot is below.

There are AMD systems with similar problems. For example I had a system
with 2 IO-APICs but only one was described in the IOMMU ACPI table.

> I'm looking at how to make this machine able to boot by default. OS X
> obviously boots, and Windows presumably boots as well since Apple
> officially supports running Windows on its hardware.

These operating systems probably don't support interrupt remapping, or
the IOMMU at all.

> I've got a patch to leave IRQ remapping disabled whenever any IOAPIC
> does not have a matching ir hardware unit. This gets it to boot, but I
> thought I'd check and see whether anyone had any better ideas for how to
> fix this.

This is exactly how I fixed this issue on the AMD side too. Mind to
submit the patch?

Thanks,

Joerg

  Last update: 2012-08-07 23:01    [W:0.064 / U:0.940 seconds]