Subject[RFC v3 0/7] generic hashtable implementation
Date
There are quite a few places in the kernel which implement a hashtable
in a very similar way. Instead of having implementations of a hashtable
all over the kernel, we can re-use the code.

This patch series introduces a very simple hashtable implementation, and
modifies three (random) modules to use it. I've limited it to 3 only
so that it would be easy to review and modify, and to show that even
at this number we already eliminate a big amount of duplicated code.

If this basic hashtable looks ok, future code will include:

- RCU support
- Self locking (list_bl?)
- Converting more code to use the hashtable

Changes in V3:

- Address review comments by Tejun Heo, Josh Triplett, Eric Beiderman,
Mathieu Desnoyers, Eric Dumazet and Linus Torvalds.
- Removed hash_get due to being too Gandalf.
- Rewrote the user namespaces hash implementation.
- Hashtable went back to being a simple array of buckets, but without any
of the macro tricks to get the size automatically.
- Optimize hasing if key is 32 bits long.

Changes in V2:

- Address review comments by Tejun Heo, Josh Triplett and Eric Beiderman (Thanks all!).
- Rebase on top of latest master.
- Convert more places to use the hashtable. Hopefully it will trigger more reviews by
touching more subsystems.

Sasha Levin (7):
hashtable: introduce a small and naive hashtable
user_ns: use new hashtable implementation
mm,ksm: use new hashtable implementation
workqueue: use new hashtable implementation
mm/huge_memory: use new hashtable implementation
tracepoint: use new hashtable implementation
net,9p: use new hashtable implementation

include/linux/hashtable.h | 82 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
kernel/tracepoint.c | 26 +++++--------
kernel/user.c | 35 ++++++++----------
net/9p/error.c | 21 +++++------
create mode 100644 include/linux/hashtable.h

--
1.7.8.6

  Last update: 2012-08-07 03:21    [W:0.088 / U:0.652 seconds]