SubjectRe: Gaming and the kernel
On Sat, 4 Aug 2012, Chris Jones wrote:

> On 04/08/12 08:44, Cruz Julian Bishop wrote:
>> On 04/08/12 08:12, Chris Jones wrote:
>>> There's a lot of attention at the moment focused toward Linux and the
>>> future of gaming support on the platform. And it got me thinking, is there
>>> any particular improvements that are planned to improve the kernel from
>>> better support for gaming?
>
> It's hard to describe what I mean. Basically, to the outside world via media,
> it is presented as "Valve is taking gaming to Linux. Wow, Linux is now
> capable of gaming!" That's all fine and everything. But we need to ensure
> that the kernel and all other aspects of code under our control is up to the
> task of handling a massive dump of games for Linux. Otherwise, it's going to
> backfire on us and Linux overall. It's moving very quickly.

Other than drivers, what problems do you think that the Linux kernel has
in supporting games?

Drivers are bad due to the video card vendors opting to not provide the
information needed for them to be good, so while I wish they were better,
I don't really see anything for the "Linux kernel community" to do.

David Lang

  Last update: 2012-08-04 02:41    [W:0.041 / U:0.444 seconds]