SubjectRe: [RFC v2 1/7] hashtable: introduce a small and naive hashtable
Hello,

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 04:47:47PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Tejun Heo <tj@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > I suppose you mean unsized. I remember this working. Maybe I'm
> > confusing it with zero-sized array. Hmm... gcc doesn't complain about
> > the following. --std=c99 seems happy too.
>
> Ok, I'm surprised, but maybe it's supposed to work if you do it inside
> another struct like that, exactly so that you can preallocate things..

Yeah, I think the rule is var array should be the last member of any
given struct definition. Once a struct is defined, its alignment and
size are fixed and it behaves like any other struct.

> Or maybe it's just a gcc bug. I do think this all is way hackier than
> Sasha's original simple code that didn't need these kinds of games,
> and didn't need a size member at all.
>
> I really think all the extra complexity and overhead is just *bad*.
> The first simple version was much nicer and likely generated better
> code too.

The size member could have performance impact in extreme cases. If
we're looking for something simple & fast, maybe just pass in @size as
argument and be done with it?

Thanks.

--
tejun

  Last update: 2012-08-04 02:41    [W:0.058 / U:0.396 seconds]