SubjectRe: Drop support for x86-32
Date
On Friday 24 August 2012 20:18:49 wbrana wrote:
> On 8/24/12, Martin Nybo Andersen <tweek@tweek.dk> wrote:
> > That's right, but new hardware, that I wish to use with the old machines
> > might
> > not because of no backporting of new drivers. Same goes for new software
> > utilising newer kernel features.
>
> Which new hardware and which old machine do you want to use?
I want to use *my* old machines (hey, I payed for them) on whatever new
hardware I can plug into them. I'm not an oracle and can't see into the
future, however USB has evolved, for instance, and will probably still do --
requiring new drivers as before.

> > Those mentioned by Chris Friesen, whose arguments you apparently ignored.
>
> I can't find any e-mail where Chris Friesen mentioned exact legacy apps.
Have a look in your inbox or one of the mailarchives. If that doesn't work,
then stop deleting half of the mails before replying.

> > You are allowed to compile most of the software running on Linux
> > yourself. If
> > you want a binary to use the x32 ABI, go compile.
>
> I can't compile x32 versions of Firefox, Chromium, NVIDIA drivers, etc.
The source code for Firefox and Chromium is available online. Go fetch and
compile. If they don't compile or execute as intended, I'm sure they would
like seeing a patch from you fixing the problem.

NVIDIA, on the other hand, is yet another reason for using nouveau.

--
Cheers,
Martin

  Last update: 2012-08-24 21:21    [W:1.604 / U:0.060 seconds]