SubjectRe: ext4 write performance regression in 3.6-rc1 on RAID0/5
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 04:00:25PM +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:57:02 +0800 Yuanhan Liu <yuanhan.liu@linux.intel.com>
> wrote:
>

> > -#define NR_STRIPES 256
> > +#define NR_STRIPES 1024
>
> Changing one magic number into another magic number might help your case, but
> it not really a general solution.

Agreed.

> Possibly making sure that max_nr_stripes is at least some multiple of the
> chunk size might make sense, but I wouldn't want to see a very large multiple.
>
> I thing the problems with RAID5 are deeper than that. Hopefully I'll figure
> out exactly what the best fix is soon - I'm trying to look into it.
>
> I don't think the size of the cache is a big part of the solution. I think
> correct scheduling of IO is the real answer.

Yes, it should not be. But with less max_nr_stripes, the chance to get a
full strip write is less, and maybe that's the reason why the chance to
block at get_active_strip() is more; and also, the reading is more.

The perfect case would be there are no reading; setting max_nr_stripes
to 32768(the max we get set now), you will find the reading is quite
less(almost zero, please see the iostat I attached in former email).

Anyway, I do agree this should not be the big part of the solution. If
we can handle those stripes faster, I guess 256 would be enough.

Thanks,
Yuanhan Liu

  Last update: 2012-08-22 09:01    [W:0.106 / U:0.408 seconds]