SubjectRe: [discussion]sched: a rough proposal to enable power saving in scheduler
From
On 21 August 2012 02:58, Alex Shi <alex.shi@intel.com> wrote:

>> Sorry for the late reply but I had almost no network access during last weeks.
>>
>> So Linaro also works on a power aware scheduler as Peter mentioned.
>>
>> Based on previous tests, we have concluded that main drawback of the
>> (now removed) old power scheduler was that we had no way to make
>> difference between short and long running tasks whereas it's a key
>> input (at least for phone) for deciding to pack tasks and for
>> selecting the core on an asymmetric system.
>

> It is hard to estimate future in general view point. but from hack
> point, maybe you can add something to hint this from task_struct. :)

per-task load tracking patchsets give you a good view of the last dozen of ms

>> One additional key information is the power distribution in the system
>> which can have a finer granularity than current sched_domain
>> description. Peter's proposal was to use a SHARE_POWERLINE flag
>> similarly to flags that already describe if a sched_domain share
>> resources or cpu capacity.
>

> Seems I missed this. what's difference with current SD_SHARE_CPUPOWER
> and SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES.

SD_SHARE_CPUPOWER is set in a sched domain at SMT level (sharing some
part of the physical core)
SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES is set at MC level (sharing some resources like
cache and memory access)

>> With these 2 new information, we can have a 1st power saving scheduler
>> which spread or packed tasks across core and package
>

> Fine, I like to test them on X86, plus SMT and NUMA :)
>

>> Vincent

  Last update: 2012-08-21 13:41    [W:0.453 / U:0.080 seconds]