SubjectRe: [patch 4/8] fs, exportfs: Add export_encode_inode_fh helper
Al Viro <viro@ZenIV.linux.org.uk> writes:

>> > Actually, I was about to suggest this. This can be done internally
>> > within fs/notify without actually modifying the syscall interface, can't
>> > it, since they take a path which is used to obtain the inode? It looks
>> > like the whole of the inotify interface could be internally recast to
>> > use dentries instead of inodes. Unless I've missed something obvious?
>>
>> Well, after looking into do_sys_name_to_handle->exportfs_encode_fh
>> sequence more precisely it seems it will be easier to extend
>> exportfs_encode_fh to support inodes directly instead of playing
>> with notify code (again, if i'm not missing something too).
>> i'm cooking a patch to show (once it's tested i'll send it out).
>
> Good luck doing that with e.g. VFAT... And then there's such thing
> as filesystems that don't have ->encode_fh() for a lot of very good
> reasons; just try to do that on sysfs, for example. Or on ramfs,
> for that matter... And while saying "you can't export that over
> NFS" seems to work fine, idiotify-lovers will screech if you try
> to ban their perversion of choice on those filesystems.

For whatever it is worth inotify does not currently work on sysfs or
procfs or any other filesystem that looks like a network filesystem and
whose modifications don't proceed through the vfs like a normal
filesystem.

Eric

  Last update: 2012-08-17 23:21    [W:0.850 / U:0.036 seconds]