SubjectRe: 3.0+ NFS issues (bisected)
On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 05:56:56AM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> On 12.07.2012 16:53, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 04:52:03PM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> >> I tried to debug this again, maybe to reproduce in a virtual machine,
> >> and found out that it is only 32bit server code shows this issue:
> >> after updating the kernel on the server to 64bit (the same version)
> >> I can't reproduce this issue anymore. Rebooting back to 32bit,
> >> and voila, it is here again.
> >>
> >> Something apparenlty isn't right on 32bits... ;)
> >>
> >> (And yes, the prob is still present and is very annoying :)
> >
> > OK, that's very useful, thanks. So probably a bug got introduced in the
> > 32-bit case between 2.6.32 and 3.0.
> >
> > My personal upstream testing is normally all x86_64 only. I'll kick off
> > a 32-bit install and see if I can reproduce this quickly.
>
> Actually it has nothing to do with 32 vs 64 bits as I
> initially thought. It happens on 64bits too, but takes
> more time (or data to transfer) to trigger.

That makes it sound like some kind of leak: you're hitting this case
eventually either way, but it takes longer in the case where you have
more (low) memory.

I wish I was more familiar with the tcp code.... What number exactly is
being compared against those limits, and how could we watch it from
userspace?

--b.