SubjectRe: efi_pstore: question about how to remove create_sysfs_entry() from a write callback.
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Seiji Aguchi <seiji.aguchi@hds.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Previous pseudo code was not correct.
> More precisely, it is as follows.
> But, we still need to alloc memory dynamically in the part of <Save information about new entry>
> because a workqueue can't know how many new entries in advance.
>
> spin_lock_irqsave(&efivars_lock);
>
> do {
> get_next_variable();
> if (found new entry)
> <Save information about new entry>

If the work item is changed to instead do a loop, storage for this may
be saved elsewhere, either the stack (though 1KiB is sorta pushing it)
or on the heap.

> } while()
>
> spin_lock_irqrestore(&efivars_lock);
>
> efivars_create_sysfs_entries();

Something like this (pseudo) may work:

/* Loop until we have all entries in efivars. */
while (1) {
variable_name = kzalloc(1024, GFP_KERNEL );
spin_lock_irqsave(&efivars->lock);
bool found = false;
while (1) {
ret = ops->get_next_variable(variable_name)
if (ret == EFI_NOT_FOUND)
break;
if (!variable_is_already_present(variable, &efivars->list) {
found = true;
break;
}
}
if (!found) {
kfree(variable_name);
break;
}
<Register in sysfs>
}

If we are calling into pstore_info ops though from interrupt context,
it seems we'll need to fix the immediate problem of updating the
locking throughout to be interrupt safe.