SubjectRe: Backports mailing list
From
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez
<mcgrof@frijolero.org> wrote:
> David,
>
> The compat [0] / compat-wireless [1] [2] projects have received quite
> a bit of love of the years to the point we now have 3 subsystems
> backported: Ethernet, Bluetooth and 802.11. Ozan Çağlayan, a Linux
> Foundation Google Summer of Code student is folding in right now drm
> driver support. At the request of the community, specifically those
> part of the Linux Foundation driver working group [3], we are going to
> be renaming the project to compat-drivers soon after drm is integrated
> and will be housing documentation under the kernel.org infrastructure
> [4] under this new name. It'll take some time for us to migrate the
> documentation / releases but do not see major issues with that, it
> will just take a bit of time but hope to have it done for the next
> stable release based on the next kernel stable release. At this time
> for patches we do have a Linux Foundation mailing list but have had
> issues with it for a while now so we keep using linux-wireless for
> patches. Given that our focus is to always prioritize upstream and
> always try to work with solutions that ensure vendors are focusing on
> upstream solutions and prioritizing upstream [5] I was hoping we can
> get a mailing list set up on vger for the project, perhaps
> backports@vger.kernel.org, so we don't flood the other mailing lists
> with random kernel backport junk. Please let me know if this is
> reasonable.
>
> [0] https://github.com/mcgrof/compat
> [1] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/
> [2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/
> [3] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/driver-backport/group
> [4] https://backports.wiki.kernel.org
> [5] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/#Additional_patches_to_stable_releases

Hi,

I am wondering why people are not consistent in naming - here again a
good example.

The workgroup at Linux Foundation is called "driver-backport".
You (Luis) are talking about a rename to "compat-drivers".
And then the ML and wiki have the name "backports".

So "backports" is for me is a bit confusing!
That reminds me when I first read about "AAArgh64!!!" stuff which was
in the end called mips64 to keep consistency to other existing arches.

So, just to fool the world a bit more:
What about "linux-backports" or why didn't you keep the "driver-backport" name?

Just my 0.02EUR.

Regards,
- Sedat -