SubjectRe: [Intel-gfx] v3.5 Oops in i2c_algo_bit.c:bit_xfer+0x23/0x870: i915 or i2c?
Date
On Mon, 13 Aug 2012, Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:49:22PM -0400, George Spelvin wrote:
>> (Bringing this back to the mailing lists after a bit of uninteresting private
>> conversation.)
>>
>> > Honestly, I think we need a way to force disable gmbus with a module
>> > parameter or something anyway. It's not the first time gmbus has been
>> > implicated with an issue. Maybe it even exists already, but I couldn't
>> > find this. So if you confirm that fixes the problem for you on the ml,
>> > at least maybe such a patch will be the result.
>> >
>> > If you feel it's a software bug (which I agree it seems likely), a
>> > bisect is always much appreciated. Personally, I'll usually step back
>> > major releases until something works, or I hit 3.2ish. Even knowing it
>> > never worked through 3.2 is helpful.
>>
>> It's a friend's machine, which I normally only have remote access to,
>> so it's a bit pf a pain, but I can manage. I just thought a basic
>> i3 motherboard was so common I couldn't possibly be the only one with
>> this problem.
>>
>> Here's the 3.2 dmesg showing the fallback working, but this is an
>> Ubuntu-patched kernel (linux-image-3.2.0-29-generic) that may be a fair
>> distance from stock:
>
> One thing of interest would be the exact .config you use to build the
> kernel and the output of lsmod (after the kernel crashed). I guess the
> issue is with the combination of drivers you have (i2c_detect in the
> calltrace calls back into other registered i2c drivers ...).

Hi all, this smells a bit like [1], don't you think?

George, can you check the patch I just sent to (hopefully) fix that
issue? Thanks.

BR,
Jani.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1339794

  Last update: 2012-08-13 17:23    [W:0.042 / U:0.400 seconds]