SubjectRe: Why minor is still 8 bit?
On 04.06.2012 20:11, Casey Schaufler wrote:
> On 6/3/2012 8:53 PM, George Shuklin wrote:

>>> Yes, shocking. It's been several years and you are still using that
>>> buzzword; I mean, it's _so_ 2010... Should've moved on to whatever's
>>> in this year...
>>>
>>> Incidentally, minors are 20 bit and majors are 12, but don't let that
>>> stand in the way of righteous indignation - what's mere facts when
>>> one is having discussions in context, presumably leveraging synergies
>>> all along...
>> Ok, thank you for information.
>>
>> But question is almost same: can I have 30k active logical volumes on
>> my single server, please?
> What are you trying to do, create a logical volume for every file?
> There are at least three separate technologies available that will
> solve whatever your problem is better than having 30,000 logical
> volumes. I don't have a clue what you think you're trying to
> accomplish and I am still willing to bet beers that you're bus is
> parked solidly on the wrong tracks.

Very simple sample: I'd like to create shared storage to publish volumes
via ISCSI. ~60Tb of drives, ~2Gb average disk size = 30k disk images.
Can I just create a bunch of LV and export them by iet or scst? Nope:
There is a serious limit for amount of active LV per host. Yes, I can
create filesystem, put images (as file) to that filesystem and publish
them back, but why FS is needed to do such simple task?

  Last update: 2012-06-04 21:42    [W:0.055 / U:0.028 seconds]