    SubjectRe: Partitions: Amiga RDB partition on 2 TB disk way too big, while OK in AmigaOS 4.1
    Date
    Am Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012 schrieb jdow:
    > I'll have to make time to look it over, considering I am more or less
    > the mommy of the RDBs. Now, 2TB may be a tad beyond the abilities of
    > the RDBs to express. Memory insists that the RDBs worked on either
    > BYTE or block counts. Your seeing a problem at 2TB suggests it really
    > stored bit counts. The numbers are supposed to be unsigned. And whether
    > the RDBs store values in blocks or BYTEs is immaterial when you get
    > down to it. (The RDBs do store the disk's actual and virtual block
    > sizes. The latter is what the filesystem uses.)

    Hmmm, I thought any 2 TB limit was gone meanwhile, but then your
    argumentation has some merit.

    Some hints that it might be gone nonetheless:

    | JXFS 64 bit file system
    |
    | With AmigaOS 4.x a new file system has been introduced called JXFS. It is
    | a totally new 64 bit file system that supports partitions up to 16 TB in
    | size. It is a modern journalling file system, which means that it reduces
    | data loss if data writes to the disk are interrupted. It is the fastest
    | and most reliable file system ever created for AmigaOS.

    http://www.amigaos.net/content/1/features

    Well I asked AmigaOS 4 developers about this issue as well. Lets see what
    they say about 2 TB limits.

    But nonetheless, I think, Linux should refuse to use a partition that is
    clearly out of bound.

    Scrubbing the one backup BTRFS that has 360 GiB of data was okay. Also the
    fsck´s went well. Well the volume group is not completely full so some
    space on the end of the disk is not yet used by it.

    I am recreating all my backups on BTRFS volumes now - except maybe the one
    thats on the BTRFS volume already and scrubs okay.

    Ciao,