SubjectRe: vmevent: question?
On 04/30/2012 05:01 PM, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> Hi Minchan,
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Minchan Kim <minchan@kernel.org> wrote:
>>> It makes the userspace side simpler for "lowmem notification" use
>>> case. I'm open to changing the ABI if it doesn't make the userspace
>>> side too complex.
>>
>> Yes. I understand your point but if we still consider all of values,
>> we don't have any way to capture exact values except triggered event value.
>> I mean there is no lock to keep consistency.
>> If stale data is okay, no problem but IMHO, it could make user very confusing.
>> So let's return value for first matched event if various event match.
>> Of course, let's write down it in ABI.
>> If there is other idea for reporting all of item with consistent, I'm okay.
>
> What kind of consistency guarantees do you mean? The data sent to
> userspace is always a snapshot of the state and therefore can be stale
> by the time it reaches userspace.

Consistency between component of snapshot.
let's assume following as

1. User expect some events's value would be minus when event he expect happen.
A : -3, B : -4, C : -5, D : -6
2. Logically, it's not possible to mix plus and minus values for the events.
A : -3, B : -4, C : -5, D : -6 ( O )
A : -3, B : -4, C : 1, D : 2 ( X )

But in current implementation, some of those could be minus and some of those could be plus.
Which event could user believe?
At least, we need a _captured_ value when event triggered so that user can ignore other values.