SubjectRe: [RFC] writeback and cgroup
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 04:56:55PM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Tue 24-04-12 19:33:40, Wu Fengguang wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:57:45AM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> > > On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:36:39PM +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> > >
> > > [..]

> > > I think having separate weigths for sync IO groups and async IO is not
> > > very appealing. There should be one notion of group weight and bandwidth
> > > distrubuted among groups according to their weight.
> >
> > There have to be some scheme, either explicitly or implicitly. Maybe
> > you are baring in mind some "equal split among queues" policy? For
> > example, if the cgroup has 9 active sync queues and 1 async queue,
> > split the weight equally to the 10 queues? So the sync IOs get 90%
> > share, and the async writes get 10% share.
> Maybe I misunderstand but there doesn't have to be (and in fact isn't)
> any split among sync / async IO in CFQ. At each moment, we choose a queue
> with the highest score and dispatch a couple of requests from it. Then we
> go and choose again. The score of the queue depends on several factors
> (like age of requests, whether the queue is sync or async, IO priority,
> etc.).
>
> Practically, over a longer period system will stabilize on some ratio
> but that's dependent on the load so your system should not impose some
> artificial direct/buffered split but rather somehow deal with the reality
> how IO scheduler decides to dispatch requests...

> Well, but we also have IO priorities which change which queue should get
> preference.

> And also sync queues for several processes can get merged when CFQ
> observes these processes cooperate together on one area of disk and get
> split again when processes stop cooperating. I don't think you really want
> to second-guess what CFQ does inside...

Good points, thank you!

So the cfq behavior is pretty undetermined. I more or less realize
this from the experiments. For example, when starting 2+ "dd oflag=direct"
tasks in one single cgroup, they _sometimes_ progress at different rates.
See the attached graphs for two such examples on XFS. ext4 is fine.

The 2-dd test case is:

mkdir /cgroup/dd
echo $$ > /cgroup/dd/tasks

dd if=/dev/zero of=/fs/zero1 bs=1M oflag=direct &
dd if=/dev/zero of=/fs/zero2 bs=1M oflag=direct &

The 6-dd test case is similar.

> > Look at this graph, the 4 dd tasks are granted the same weight (2 of
> > them are buffered writes). I guess the 2 buffered dd tasks managed to
> > progress much faster than the 2 direct dd tasks just because the async
> > IOs are much more efficient than the bs=64k direct IOs.
> Likely because 64k is too low to get good bandwidth with direct IO. If
> it was 4M, I believe you would get similar throughput for buffered and
> direct IO. So essentially you are right, small IO benefits from caching
> effects since they allow you to submit larger requests to the device which
> is more efficient.

I didn't direct compare the effects, however here is an example of
doing 1M, 64k, 4k direct writes in parallel. It _seems_ bs=1M only has
marginal benefits of 64k, assuming cfq is behaving well.

https://github.com/fengguang/io-controller-tests/raw/master/log/snb/ext4/direct-write-1M-64k-4k.2012-04-19-10-50/balance_dirty_pages-task-bw.png

The test case is:

# cgroup 1
echo 500 > /cgroup/cp/blkio.weight

dd if=/dev/zero of=/fs/zero-1M bs=1M oflag=direct &

# cgroup 2
echo 1000 > /cgroup/dd/blkio.weight

dd if=/dev/zero of=/fs/zero-64k bs=64k oflag=direct &
dd if=/dev/zero of=/fs/zero-4k bs=4k oflag=direct &

Thanks,
Fengguang
[unhandled content-type:image/png][unhandled content-type:image/png]

  Last update: 2012-04-25 05:23    [W:0.147 / U:0.020 seconds]