SubjectRe: bluetooth: fix deadlock on device reset and power down
Am 02.04.2012 08:55, schrieb Andrei Emeltchenko:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 03:23:38PM +0200, Alexander Holler wrote:
>> I've experienced a deadlock on shutdown using kernel 3.3 and tracked
>> it down. Because I'm not very familiar with the bluetooth stack I'm
>> not sure if the below patch is correct, but it fixed the problem
>> here.
>
> Could you please attach deadlock dump?
>

>> Commit 09fd0de5bd8f8ef3317e5365f92f1a13dcd89aa9 introduced a deadlock:
>>
>> bluetoothd calls ioctl HCIDEVDOWN
>> hci_sock_ioctl()
>> hci_dev_close()
>> hci_dev_do_close()
>> hci_dev_lock(hdev);
>> inquiry_cache_flush();
>> hci_conn_hash_flush();
>> hci_conn_del()
>> cancel_delayed_work_sync()
>> hci_conn_timeout()
>> hci_dev_lock(hdev); /* DEADLOCK */
>
> I am actually not sure that hci_conn_timeout locks hdev. Why do you think
> so?

By reading the source, printk and suffering through the deadlock. It's
especially painfull when using a bt-keyboard and systemd, because
systemd tries 4 times (~ some minutes) to kill bluetoothd before it
marks the service as failed and finally continues to shut down.

Just try to kill bluetoothd while a bt-mouse or bt-keyboard is connected.

But I have to admit, that my patch is likely the wrong solution as I
think it will introduce some race conditions. Anyway, I prefer to live
with them (the race conditions) instead of the deadlock. So for
inclusion into the kernel a proper solution is needed.
But already said, I'm not familiar with the bt-stack and don't know
about the locking strategies inside the stack, so it's hard for me to
find my way through the source.

Regards,

Alexander

  Last update: 2012-04-02 10:33    [W:0.069 / U:1.056 seconds]