SubjectRe: toshiba-acpi: Portégé 3500 function keys broken since 2.6.33
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:39:57 -0500
Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 10:45:12PM +0100, James Le Cuirot wrote:
> > Following a kernel git bisect, I have found that commit
> > 6335e4d56681f6f08f24f4b812a72d402793d393 broke the function keys on
> > the Toshiba Portégé 3500. Details of that commit can be seen at
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/3/31/440.
> >
> > Apart from fnfxd not responding to key presses, the hotkey_ready and
> > hotkey values found in /proc/acpi/toshiba/keys remain stuck on 0
> > whereas before they used to change after a single function key
> > press.
> >
> > Some months after the commit, a patch was proposed in response to
> > fix the multimedia keys on the Toshiba Satellite A40. Unfortunately
> > this patch didn't fix the problem in my case. Regardless, the patch
> > can be found at https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/27/138.
> >
> > Matthew Garrett initially requested an acpidump in order to diagnose
> > the above problem so I have attached mine here. I also attempted to
> > get the ACPI debug output but it more than filled my entire dmesg
> > buffer and I wasn't even sure it was relevant. Let me know if you
> > wish to see that anyway.
> >
> > Please CC me in your replies.
>
> I did some work on toshiba_acpi to support additional interfaces for
> supporting hotkeys that went into 3.4. Based on your ACPI tables this
> might help you, but I can't be certain, so you should give the latest
> 3.4-rc a try to see if it helps.

I tried 3.4-rc3 and after wrestling with a new, unrelated ACPI issue
that stopped the machine from booting at all (now reverted), I found
that the hotkeys still don't work. Shame, it sounded promising.

James