SubjectRe: via-rhine: Problem with lost link after a while

On 11-04-2012 00:55, Francois Romieu wrote:
> Bjarke Istrup Pedersen<gurligebis@gentoo.org> :
>
> [...]
>> Great, I'll try a 3.4-rc2 kernel, and see how it runs.
>>
>> The thread I was talking about earlier is here:
>> http://lists.soekris.com/pipermail/soekris-tech/2012-April/018318.html
>> Is there any of the changes he has there, that makes sense in the new
>> driver you wrote ?
> (I did not write a new driver)
>
> Regarding Svenning's patch:
> - the wmb in alloc_rbufs may help rhine_reset_task().
> - one should probably add one in rhine_rx() as well.
> - rhine_start_tx() is supposed to stop queueing when there is no room left.
> I'm curious to know if the "Tx descriptor busy" test triggered.
> - the rmb() in rhine_tx() will not make a difference for a single core but
> it's a good reminder that I should not have forgotten to propagate the
> xmit / Tx completion fix back from the r8169 driver to the via-rhine one
> (sigh)
>
> mmiowb is probably missing. I doubt it hits hard right now.
>
> I have not checked if MMIO flushes are missing. Actually I need some sleep.

Regarding the "Tx descriptor busy" test: no, I didn't see it trigger, I
just put it there just in case because I suspected there could be a race
due to the lock-free tx path.
But I'm glad if you're confident that it can't happen :)

Svenning

  Last update: 2012-04-11 12:01    [W:0.082 / U:1.276 seconds]