SubjectRe: Problem with efibootmgr on asus 1215b
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 02:27:08AM +0000, Vasco Dias wrote:
> On Thu 15 Mar 2012 01:29:41 AM WET, Motiejus Jakštys wrote:
> >>Somewhat late to this I know, but:
> >>
> >>On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:48:26AM +0000, Matt Fleming wrote:
> >
> >Just to let you know I apparently have exactly the same issue with the same
> >laptop. If it can help, I could try installing the M$ Student Edition during
> >the weekend and report the results.
> >
> >Windows Server 2008 64-bit, fresh GPT partition table will be my lab
> >environment. Standard installation procedure.
> >
> >I am running Ubuntu 12.04 with 3.2.0-18-generic.
> >
> >Motiejus
>
> I have to say that before installing linux i tried installing
> windows right after
> converting the system to gpt and after selecting the partition to
> install it it
> would just BSOD.
>
> I downloaded windows from my msdna account, converted it to boot
> from the usb drive and manually selected the efi file from the drive
> to launch
> the windows setup.
>
> Sometimes it would reboot just after starting, other times it would BSOD
> after selecting the partition and clicking next and yet other times
> it would
> start installing and then BSOD.
>
> After at least 20 different attemps there was just one time that
> before going into BSOD that it successfuly registered the microsoft
> boot program with the efi boot variables.
>
> All that assuming the files on the usb drive were not corrupted ;)
> (it would be fun if they were)

Thanks for response, now I know what to expect. Sounds like an *alternative*
way to spend a weekend.

Which version exactly did you use?

In any case, I will verify your findings.

So AFAIK there is no way to boot 64 bit linux (or even as of now - windows)
without entering the UEFI shell and manually starting the UEFI loader (like
[1])?

[1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1064647#p1064647

Motiejus