SubjectRe: getdents - ext4 vs btrfs performance
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012, Yongqiang Yang wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Lukas Czerner <lczerner@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> Are you volunteering to spearhead the design and coding of such a
> >> thing?  Run-time sorting is backwards compatible, and a heck of a lot
> >> easier to code and test...
> >
> > Actually I am in the process of creating some projects for the local
> > universities and this certainly sounds like something that some student
> > can do. I have already put that into the proposal, so we might have
> > someone looking into this in the near future. Since the problem has been
> > there since forever, I think that it's not that critical to solve it
> > right away.
> >
> > I kind of like the idea about having the separate btree with inode
> > numbers for the directory reading, just because it does not affect
> > allocation policy nor the write performance which is a good thing. Also
> > it has been done before in btrfs and it works very well for them. The
> > only downside (aside from format change) is the extra step when removing
> > the directory entry, but the positives outperform the negatives.
> >

> > Maybe this might be even done in a way which does not require format
> > change. We can have new inode flag (say EXT4_INUM_INDEX_FL) which will
> > tell us that there is a inode number btree to use on directory reads.
> > Then the pointer to the root of that tree would be stored at the end of
> > the root block of the hree (of course if there is still some space for
> > it) and the rest is easy.
> dx_root takes 32 bytes from 60 bytes of i_data. The beginning of
> dx_entries is controlled by info_length, that is, dx_root->info +
> dx_root->info->info_length. It seems that we can put the new tree
> root behind dx_root and add the length of the new tree root to
> info_length. Then the old code can handle new filesystem and new code
> can handle old filesystem because of the flag you described above.

Yes, there might be other places where we can store the new root. The
first idea was just from top of my head, we can certainly polish it a
bit more.

> If no one attempts to do it , I can do it as a google summer of code project.

As I wrote in the first paragraph this project is already taken :). It
will be the student project for our local universities. Actually I have
already finished the proposal. I can not stop you from doing it as a
soc project, although I am not sure that in this case it would be good
to have two people working on exactly the same problem.

Thanks!
-Lukas