SubjectRe: Extending coredump note section to contain filenames
On 03/09/2012 06:29 PM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 18:13:49 +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> gdb retrieves loaded library names by examining dynamic loader's
>> data stored in the coredump's data segments. It uses intimate
>> knowledge how and where dynamic loader keeps the list of loaded
>> libraries.
>
> this is the backward compatible way and it is no longer the right one with
> build-ids.
>
> GDB should scan the address space for mapped build-ids and map symbol files
> accordingly.

Build-ids are useful, but they still don't map directly to the names
of loaded files. You need to rely on /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/XX/YYYYYYYYYY
symlinks to translate build-ids to names.

For example, on my home machine (linux-from-scratch style) I don't have
/usr/lib/debug/.build-id/* directory at all. So build-ids can't be used
to find the binary and libraries there.

Why we don't save library names in coredump? I see no logical reason
not to do so. Even if those names sometimes won't be reliable
("deleted files" problem), it's not a good reason to shoot ourself
in the food and deprive ourself from this information 100% of the time.

>> Another question is detection of deleted files.
>> If /usr/lib/xulrunner-2/libmozjs.so was updated while program ran
>> and now file mapped into process address space does not correspond
>> to the same-named file on disk, can we help users to detect this? How?
>> By saving maj/min/inode? Hash thereof?
>> File size?
>> File's md5sum (probably not, way too expensive. But nicely robust...)?
>
> build-id is already being saved. This is all that matters. Filename does not
> say anything - as you noticed it can be even already deleted,

Yes, the file can be deleted/updated-via-rename. That's the case
I want to be possible to detect.

> it can have unknown content etc.

I don't understand. *What* can have unknown content?

> I do not see what problems you target here.

I'm thinking whether we should supply some mechanism for detecting
"deleted/updated file" problem. Even if this would be a heuristic.
I'll be satisfied with 99.9999% success rate instead of 100% :)

--
vda

  Last update: 2012-03-12 13:09    [W:0.083 / U:0.420 seconds]