SubjectRe: "whitespace coding style cleanup" broke coding style
On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 18:12 +0100, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> On 02/27/2012 05:52 PM, Joe Perches wrote:
> > Notice that the code improperly uses commas and
> > not semicolons for line terminations like the
> > lines immediately above and below it.
>
> Oh, and you see that you made it actually _worse_?

Actually, no. This changes does highlight a
nominal code style defect though.

> The patch should not
> touch the code at all. It is obviously totally broken. In a separate
> patch you might do s@,@;@ instead.

The code in either form is neither broken nor
incorrect. It's just "out of style".
Emacs did made it consistent.

> Hmm, but did not we conclude some time ago that we will not touch code
> just to perform a whitespace cleanup?

It's a prelude to other patches so actually
that's done quite a lot. git blame -w
doesn't even show my name on any of the
code in this patch.

> > It was a first pass and an overall improvement.
>
> I hope no other passes are going to happen there or anywhere in TTY
> drivers. I really do not want to solve zillion collisions in my ~100
> local patches due to whitespace changes, sorry.

Perhaps you should submit your ~100 patches sooner
rather than later. That's a lot of changes that
could have any number of collisions.

> Yes, but it does not pass our brain, does it? One should throw
> "checkpatch --file" or alike away, finally.

Perhaps you might notice I did not use checkpatch
as a guide nor as a criteria for submission.

It was ~5MB patch btw. Compilation was done to
verify lack of object delta only.

Thanks for noticing the oddly formatted code.
I'll send a patch to fix it.

cheers, Joe

  Last update: 2012-02-27 18:29    [W:0.375 / U:0.240 seconds]