SubjectRe: Debugging system freezes on filesystem writes
On Tue 27-11-12 18:14:42, Marcus Sundman wrote:
> On 22.11.2012 01:30, Jan Kara wrote:

> >>I didn't watch iotop during this particular freeze. I'll try to keep
> >>an eye on iotop in the future. Is there some particular options I
> >>should run iotop with, or is a "nice -n -20 iotop -od3" fine?
> > I'm not really familiar with iotop :). Usually I use iostat...
>
> OK, which options for iostat should I use then? :)
I'm back from vacation. Sorry for the delay. You can use
iostat -x 1

> >>Sure! Here are two:
> >>http://sundman.iki.fi/dmesg-1.txt
> >>http://sundman.iki.fi/dmesg-2.txt
> > Thanks for those and sorry for the delay (I was busy with other stuff).
> >I had a look into those traces and I have to say I'm not much wiser. In the
> >first dump there is just kswapd waiting for IO. In the second dump there
> >are more processes waiting for IO (mostly for reads - nautilus,
> >thunderbird, opera, ...) but nothing really surprising. So I'm lost what
> >could cause the hangs you observe.
>
> Yes, mostly it's difficult to trigger the sysrq thingy, because by
> the time I manage to switch to the console or running that echo to
> proc in a terminal the worst is already over.
I see. Maybe you could have something like
while true; do echo w >/proc/sysrq-trigger; sleep 10; done
running in the background?

> >Recalling you wrote even simple programs
> >like top hang, maybe it is some CPU scheduling issue? Can you boot with
> >noautogroup kernel option?
>
> Sure. I've been running with noautogroup for almost a week now, but
> no big change one way or the other. (E.g., it's still impossible to
> listen to music, because the songs will start skipping/looping
> several times during each song even if there isn't any big "hang"
> happening. And uncompressing a 100 MB archive (with nice '19' and
> ionice 'idle') is still, after a while, followed by a couple of
> minutes of superhigh I/O wait causing everything to become really
> slow.)
Hum, I'm starting to wander what's so special about your system that you
see these hangs while noone else seems to be hitting them. Your kernel is a
standard one from Ubuntu so tons of people run it. Your HW doesn't seem to
be too special either.

BTW the fact that you ionice 'tar' doesn't change anything because all the
writes are done in the context of kernel flusher thread (tar just writes
data into cache). But still it shouldn't lock the machine up. What might be
interesting test though is running:
dd if=/dev/zero of=file bs=1M count=200 oflags=direct

Does this trigger any hangs?

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR

  Last update: 2012-12-05 17:22    [W:0.168 / U:0.028 seconds]