Subject[YASB] Re: Linux 3.7-rc7
Hello,

JFYI: Yet Another Suspend Breakage, it seems (hopefully someone
can contribute to and further nail down this issue).

Working:
vmlinuz-3.7.0-rc5-00068-gc5e35d6 (HEAD possibly unknown?)

Failing:
vmlinuz-3.7.0-rc7-00179-g2db18aa (HEAD 3c46f3d6406b1d0c53575774b2d1fd013cd7f76f)

Athlon XP 32bit VIA 8K5A2+.

Florian Fainelli (1):
x86/ce4100: Fix pm_poweroff

sounds like it *might* happen to be a candidate (I could try to add a
revert on top, of certain likely candidates).

I started some initial pm debugging (Documentation/power/basic-pm-debugging.txt), and it started hanging once progressing from "devices" to "platform"
in /sys/power/pm_test .

I could do more invasive debugging (and unloading modules at random, too),
however given that I'm currently spending almost days
debugging my third(!) non-working USB storage device in one year,
I'm somewhat less inclined.
As a side note, support status in (admittedly terribly complex,
and certainly very challenging given Windows' usual dirty non-spec tricks
in this area as well) USB storage areas seems to be nothing short of *terrible*.
At the current rate, there's an almost one-in-three chance to end up
with a dud when shopping for storage devices, it seems.
This situation should DEFINITELY see improvement,
ideally via a concerted effort (and finally get those lazy vendors
involved, too!).

It really cannot be that hard to buy devices at random
and plug into a large selection of random hardware
to verify that everything works in a most compatible way!!
Internet forums are full of stories about device failures on *Linux*,
with some of the usual recommendations being
"oh yeah, you need to disable ehci_hcd" (what a terrible "workaround")
or "use irqpoll" (dito)
[none of which helped in my two remaining cases].

So, all the usual problems (suspend breakage, USB storage) alive and kicking...

</rant>
</asbestos>

Crawling back into my corner,

Andreas Mohr

--
GNU/Linux. It's not the software that's free, it's you.

  Last update: 2012-12-03 21:21    [W:0.056 / U:0.776 seconds]