SubjectRe: how to look for source code in kernel
anish singh <anish198519851985@gmail.com> writes:

>>> for browsing the code unfortunately there is no good tool as in windows we
>>> have source insight.We can use wine in linux but that sucks.
>> Funny you say that!
>> Never heard of cscope, ctags ?
> It is not as convenient as source insight or is it?

I took a look and source insite seems to have a whole lot of
inconvinient mousing around. A setup where you get to stay on your home
keys seems much more convinient to me.

But then I am probably peculiar keeping an index of the source code in
my head. When I need to look for something and I don't know where to
find it I do.

git-ls-files | xargs fgrep 'struct f2fs_inode'

That returns instantly and tells me where to look. If you can do an
instant brute force search what is the point of an index?

My experience with gui editors is that they always hide something I need
to see, or my code is just strange enough (say having asm file, or
supporting multiple architectures) that the tools get horribly confused.

So I suspect source insight would be terribly inconvinient to the point
of uselessness to me.

Eric

  Last update: 2012-12-28 09:01    [W:0.066 / U:1.312 seconds]