SubjectRe: What does ISA/PCI really mean to ARM architecture?
From
On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Woody Wu <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can a peripheral chip that claims to be ISA or PCI device be used in a
> ARM based embedded system? For these kind of chips, I only concern
> about the planar kind of devices, means they are not on a dedicated
> expansion card.
>
> From hardware point of view, to attach a ISA or PCI planar chip, is
> there any requirement need to fulfill on a ARM bard?
>
> From Linux driver point of view, what are needed to support an ISA or
> PCI driver in ARM architecture? More important, is ISA or PCI device a
> platform device? If not, how to add these kind of devices in my board
> definition?

An ISA device is typically a platform device. For ARM, which uses device trees,
this means you define it in the device tree.

A PCI device is not a platform device, as devices on a PCI bus can be
probed automatically. The PCI host bridge is typically a platform device,
though, so it it should be in your device tree.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2012-12-27 11:41    [W:0.287 / U:0.932 seconds]