SubjectRe: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000500
On 28.12.2012 01:24, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Zlatko Calusic
> <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> wrote:
>> On 28.12.2012 00:42, Sedat Dilek wrote:

>>> Not sure how I can really reproduce this bug as one build worked fine
>>> within my last v3.8-rc1 kernel.
>>> I increased the parallel-make-jobs-number from "4" to "8" to stress a
>>> bit harder.
>>> Just building right now... and will report.
>>>
>>> If you have any test-case (script or whatever), please let me/us know.
>>>

>> Unfortunately not, I haven't reproduced it yet on my machines. But it seems
>> that bug will hit only under heavy memory pressure. When close to OOM, or
>> possibly with lots of writing to disk. It's also possible that fragmentation
>> of memory zones could provoke it, that means testing it for a longer time.
>>

> I tested successfully by doing simultaneously...
> - building Freetz with 8 parallel make-jobs
> - building Linux GIT with 1 make-job
> - 9 tabs open in firefox
> - In one tab I ran YouTube music video
> - etc.
>
> I am reading [1] and [2] where another user reports success by reverting this...
>
> commit cda73a10eb3f493871ed39f468db50a65ebeddce
> "mm: do not sleep in balance_pgdat if there's no i/o congestion"
>
> BTW, this machine has also 4GiB RAM (Ubuntu/precise AMD64).
>
> Feel free to add a "Reported-by/Tested-by" if you think this is a
> positive report.

Thanks for the testing! And keep running it in case something
interesting pops up. ;)

No need to revert cda73a10eb because it fixes another bug. And the patch
you're now running fixes the new bug I introduced with a combination of
my latest 2 patches. Nah, it gets complicated... :)

But, at least I found the culprit and as soon as Linus applies the fix,
everything will be hunky dory again, at least on this front. :P

Thanks,
--
Zlatko

  Last update: 2012-12-28 02:01    [W:0.091 / U:0.024 seconds]