SubjectRe: nfsd oops on Linus' current tree.
On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:15:40PM +0000, Myklebust, Trond wrote:
> Apologies for top-posting. The SSD on my laptop died, and so I'm stuck using webmail for this account...

Fun! If that happens to me on this trip, I've got a week trying to hack
the kernel from my cell phone....

As I said:

> there shouldn't be any deadlock as long as there's no circular
> dependency among the three.

There was a circular dependency (of rpciod on itself), so having a
dedicated rpciod rescuer thread wouldn't help--once the rescuer thread
is waiting for work queued to do the same queue you're asking for
trouble.

The last argument in

alloc_workqueue("rpciod", WQ_MEM_RECLAIM, 1);

ensures that it will never allow more than 1 piece of work to run per
CPU, so the deadlock should be pretty easy to hit.

And with UNBOUND that's only one piece of work globally, so yeah all you
need is an rpc at shutdown time and it should deadlock every time.

--b.

  Last update: 2012-12-22 01:01    [W:0.058 / U:0.148 seconds]