SubjectRe: [RFC Patch v1 45/55] ARC: unaligned access emulation
On Monday 12 November 2012 07:30 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Monday 12 November 2012, Vineet.Gupta1@synopsys.com wrote:
>> +
>> +config ARC_MISALIGN_ACCESS
>> + bool "Emulate unaligned memory access (userspace only)"
>> + default N
>> + help
>> + This enables misaligned 16 & 32 bit memory access from user space.
>> + Use ONLY-IF-ABS-NECESSARY as it will be very slow and also can hide
>> + potential bugs in code
>
> parisc and ia64 both have the same feature, and they use sysctl to configure
> it at run-time. Maybe you should pick one of the two sysctl implementations
> and hook that up to your implementation as well.

Spoke too soon ! The only caveat to removing the Kconfig option is that
it will pull-in unaligned emulation code as well as the dependent
in-kernel disassembler unconditionally into the build.

Are you OK if we keep this support build time - provided that once it is
build time enabled - we have the additional runtime sysctl based
toggle-ability as you suggested.

Only one of our customers need this feature and this gives people
reasons to moan about the kernel .text size and such.

Thanks,
Vineet

  Last update: 2012-12-20 09:42    [W:0.101 / U:0.520 seconds]